7th Grade English Name____________________
“The Monsters Are Due On
Review Questions—Answer on full-sized line paper, please.
A. Plot (Answer all five questions.)
was the FIRST strange event on
2. What did Tommy suggest was happening? Why does he have this idea?
3. What event starts the neighbors blaming and suspecting each other?
4. What happens when the neighbors see a dark figure walking toward them near the end?
or what is actually responsible for initially setting the events in motion on
A. Thinking (Answer all five questions.)
are the “monsters of
2. Are the aliens correct in their judgment of human behavior? Tell why or why not.
3. This teleplay shows what happens when a crowd becomes a mob. How does being in a crowd change the way people behave? What other examples from real life can you think of (examples of “mob mentality”)?
4. What is the main theme of this teleplay, related to prejudice, tolerance, or intolerance?
what ways does this teleplay criticize human beings and human nature? Or does it more criticize the lives and
society of the
B. Creative Expression (Pick TWO to complete.)
1. Using artistic skill and neatness, present a
shortened form of “The Monsters Are Due on
2. Create a list of five songs that
contain themes or ideas similar to those in “The Monsters Are Due on
3. Write your thoughts/opinions about the possibility that earth has seen visits—or will some day see visits—by intelligent beings from other planets. If so, describe whether the contact may be peaceful, or hostile. You may do this in the form of a creative story, or as an essay.
4. Creatively write or describe the trial of Charlie for the death of Pete Van Horn. What would his defense attorney say? What would the prosecutor say? What would the jury decide?
5. Continue the teleplay…into the next day…or into the next few weeks…or years later, when the aliens have taken control… Write in teleplay style. Write at least 1½ to 2 pages.