The Giver, by Lois Lowry††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Name:___________________
Questions Ch. 1-8
Answer these questions on a sheet of lined A-4 paper.† Label and number your answers as they are labelled and numbered below.
Did you read?† (You should be able to answer these without using your book.† If you must check the chapter to answer, go ahead.)
1. What is Jonas apprehensive about in Chapter One?
2. What things do Jonasí parents reassure him about his worries in Chapter Two?
3. Describe what happened with the apple (Chapter Three).
4. Describe Jonasí volunteer job at the House of the Old in Chapter Four.
5. What was Jonasí dream in Chapter Five?† What is the result of his telling it?
6. Describe the Ceremony that is held each year in the community Auditorium.
7. As they are giving out the Assignments for the 12ís in Chapter 7, what happens to Jonas?
8. What is Jonasí Assignment?† What is his reaction?† What is the audienceís reaction?
Did you think about what you read?
1. So far, what do you see as the positive aspects of the Community Jonas lives in?
2. So far, what do you see as the negative aspects of the Community Jonas lives in?
3. What adjectives would you use to describe the relationship of Jonasí family, as it is seen in their discussions, and around the dinner table.† Then, say why you chose those adjectives.
4. Why do you think members of this society must do volunteer work while they are young?† Do you think this is a good or idea or a bad idea?† Defend your answer.
5. Look again at Chapters 1 and 2.† Mostly, the things in the chapter are perfectly normal and like our world.† But not quite.† Make a list of all the things that are mentioned, or terms that are used, that identify the setting as different from our world.